Saturday, September 29, 2007

Alaska in Pictures, Part 1: Our Arrival

Hello!

Two months after we returned from Alaska, I'm finally sitting down and sharing a glimpse of the beauty and splendor with all of you. Over the next few weeks, I'll be posting pictures and notes of all sorts of experiences, from a fishing trip in the middle of nowhere, to the proposal in ... well, that was in the middle of nowhere, too.

My pictures are mostly of places, but I did manage to get a few of people, too. Comments, as always, are welcomed and appreciated. Oh, and in case you haven't guessed, the best way to score brownie points is to say something nice about my wonderful husband-to-be, or Alaska.

Mom and Katelyn Grace in Seattle airport, waiting for our flight

Katelyn Grace and me at the gate ... on our way to visit Alaska for the first time!

Several hours later ... my very first glimpse of Alaska! ... somewhere over the Kenai Peninsula


What beauty!


Back in July, I discovered a few webcams that gave me a little preview of Alaska. One of them pointed towards Mt. Susitna (which recently got some snow on the top!). Imagine my excitement when I recognized it from the air! We couldn't have had better weather conditions flying in!





The instant we touched down on the Alaska runway : )

My first glimpse, out of the airplane window, of a few of the mountains surrounding Anchorage

We were met at the airport by a wonderful young man holding a jar of gorgeous flowers. Who could they be for, I wonder?


I need to give Esther (one of Tait's sisters) credit for growing these beautiful flowers in her garden!

Someone else who was there to welcome us



After 9:00 at night

Soon we were off on the 60-mile drive from Anchorage, through Wasilla, to the Zimmerman's home. Much to Esther and Ashley's amusement, I took about a hundred pictures of the mountains on the way to their home. ... The first of well over a thousand pictures during our week's stay.

More to come!

5 comments:

EL said...

Yay! I loved this post! I'm anxiously looking forward to post #2!! Oh...and your husband to be is nice and Alaska is nice too. =)

EL said...

Love the new background btw. You're pretty great. See ya'.

EL said...

Love the new background btw. You're pretty great. See ya'.

FitzClan said...

So glad you enjoyed my Alaska post!

You earned two brownie points. : )

I decided that the last background was a little plain and was getting a little old. Thanks for giving me feedback on the new one!

Have a lovely evening,
Lauren

Haugh Family said...

What beautiful pictures. The scenery looks gorgeous!

Jenny