Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Heartbreak and Blessing

The following was originally posted on my blog, More Precious Than Rubies.

* * * * *
Jessica Weatherford lies small and helpless on the opertating table, staring at a blue surgical sheet hanging inches from her face.

It blocks her view of the Caesarean operation on the other side, as a doctor delicately reaches for her baby.

A baby Jessica's been waiting for.

A baby she prays will live long enough to hold in her arms.

So begins one of the most heartbreaking stories I have ever read. This is a story of a young couple who experienced the unthinkable: the joy of finding out they were soon to be the proud parents of a baby boy, and then the sorrow of discovering that their first son would never live to see the outside of a hospital. You see, a severe disability, Trisomy 13, made it certain that little Zeke would not survive more than a few minutes - if that long - outside of his mother's womb.

But this is also the story of God's faithfulness and a mother's love. While most parents would have chosen to abort their child, Dave and Jessica Weatherford knew that God had a plan for their son's life, however short He saw fit to make it.

Psalm 139:13 - For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

As I read of this couple's struggles, their hopes, plans, and faith, tears streamed down my face. Theirs is a heartwrenching story. But I received a tremendous blessing from reading of God's faithfulness through every trial.

Their story gives a whole new meaning to Psalm 139. God has a plan for every life, even that of a severely disabled baby who lives for only 35 minutes outside of his mother's womb.

You will cry as you read of Jessica taking her baby in her arms, whispering, "Hi. This is Mommy. I love you."

But I can assure you that you will be blessed as I have been.

Part 1: Zeke's Gift - Love to Last a Lifetime

Part 2: Zeke's Gift - "Hi. This is Mommy"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link to this story. I watched it right after you posted it and had myself a really good cry. We lost our 3rd child due to premature rupture of membranes (PROM). I carried her for 4 weeks after the rupture, but the lack of fluids took their toll as well as her extreme prematurity. Hope was born on September 12, 2001-I labored all day on 9-11 while watching the horrors on tv. We didn't know at first that I was laboring because they determined I had a bladder infection and thought maybe the pain was related to that. Since my waters had ruptured already, they didn't want to check anything there in case everything was still okay. Unfortunately, Hope was born in the early morning hours of 9-12 and although she lived briefly, she was not ready to live in this world.
All the emotions that Jessica expressed were so familiar. We knew that Hope was not expected to live, but then they didn't expect me to carry her for more than a couple of days after my membranes ruptured. By the time that I had carried her for an additional 3 weeks, I think they were even beginning to believe that we just might make it far enough for her to survive and be the miracle that I was sure God was going to give us.
Although losing Hope was the hardest thing we have ever faced, we were blessed by God's mercy and He restored our joy when our daughter Joy was born less than a year later. She was followed by her sister Faith less than a year and a half after that.
I was very happy for the Weatherfords that they had that time with Ezekiel-and that they had someone to help them create as many memories as possible. I have a box of things-pictures, Hope's footprints, her knitted hat from the hospital-they mean so much.
I know this is very long but I wanted to let you know that I had been touched by this post and share a little more about myself with you.
I am praying for Kaitlyn's treatments to go well. I'm sure you are all missing her and your mom.

FitzClan said...

Thank you so much, Michelle, for sharing your story. None of us can even imagine what you went through losing Hope. I was blessed reading of the healing that God sent you and the joy that was restored to you in Joy and Faith; we serve a great God!

Blessings to you and your family,
Lauren