Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Evacuees

The original plan was to stay with my aunt Sharon here in northern San Diego while we were here for osteopathic appointments for Katelyn Grace. But I'm writing this from a hotel lobby in the same city. If you've been watching the news at all, you can probably guess why. My last post mentioned that we could see and smell the smoke from the Southern California fires. Before we went to bed, we could just barely see a red glow behind the hills. We didn't think too much of it, and headed to bed. At 3am we got a call informing us that we should keep close tabs on the approaching fire. At 4am, Mom and I headed out to fill up the van and found out that the fire was only a couple of miles off, heading our way. We returned to the house, packed up some essential items, loaded the car, and headed out through the thick smoke.

Before we left, I looked out the back window and saw flames and emergency lights on the next hill over, less than half a mile from my aunt's house.

As we pulled out of the driveway, three police cars raced onto Aunt Sharon's street. Three policemen jumped out and started banging on doors, telling everyone to get out. We were so thankful we had more notice than that and had a couple of hours to pack things up!

The smoke was thick, and traffic was heavy from a portion of the half million people who were eventually evacuated due to the fires. We drove to Oceanside, fifty miles north of San Diego, and stayed several nights in a hotel. But there was another fire east of there, the air quality went down, and everything was covered in a layer of ash. The next town over was evacuated, and we eventually ended up moving to another hotel here in downtown San Diego where the air quality is better, and we are closer to Katelyn Grace's osteopathic appointments.

So here we are. Not exactly what we had planned for our trip to San Diego.

If you've been watching the news, you probably know that the Witch Creek fire was the most severe and threatened the most houses. You may also have learned that Rancho Bernardo was the hardest hit area from any of the fires. In that one area, 700 homes were burned to the ground, and other homes and businesses were damaged.

My aunt and uncle live in the heart of Rancho Bernardo, less than two miles from where the fire jumped I-15. Two homes just up the road from them were burned to the ground. And remember that hill I saw the flames on as we were heading out that morning? When Uncle Bob and I went back to the house to check for damage last Thursday, I noticed that there was nothing left standing on the top of that hill. It had all been burned except for a few small bushes and a single palm tree.

Thankfully, my aunt and uncle's house was untouched, as were many of the homes around them. We can't understand how in the world these fires work. You drive down a street; everything looks perfectly normal. And then, all of the sudden, you see a blackened tree. You drive further; everything looks normal. Out of the blue, there are the charred ruins of someone's home. Drive a little further, and everything is normal. Then there's another burned fence or car. It seems inexplicable.

We can't go back to Aunt Sharon's house just yet because the air quality is bad and the house still reeks of smoke.

The Lord has led us to just the right hotels where we can get good deals. We tell the people there that we are poor refugees, that we have a little baby with us, that we need a place to stay for the night, and their hearts melt. : ) I'm just kidding. But the Lord really has directed us to the right places, and people have been very kind.

Back home in South Carolina, we're fairly used to dealing with hurricanes, and have had to evacuate for them once or twice. But wildfires are a completely new experience for us. Not exactly what we had planned on for our trip to San Diego.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you all are safe and that your aunt and uncle's home was not burned.
I've been checking for updates and thought about emailing just to find out but figured you'd update if there was news to tell. :-)
I have many aunts, uncles, and cousins living in the Escondido area and have heard some things through my mom who stays in touch daily with our family out there.
Will you be able to complete the dr. visits that you went out for?
I'm still praying daily for Kaitlyn Grace and for your safety as well.
Thanks for letting us know you are okay.
Blessings,
Michelle

FitzClan said...

Hello Mrs. Michelle! Yes, thankfully we will be able to finish the doctor's visits here. We actually decided to extend our time here by another week, and won't be getting back home until late next Monday. Because of the fires, some airlines were waiving flight change fees into and out of San Diego, so it cost nothing to change our flights.

I'm here at a laundromat, and need to go transfer the clothes into the dryer now.

Blessings!
~Lauren

EL said...

Hey, great post that explains everything better then Tait did...sorry Tait! Love you and thinking about you all a lot!

Mom_E said...

Dear Fitzclan,

Hello! I am so thankful you are safe from the fires, and that the Lord has guided you so tenderly in San Diego. I pray that all goes well for little Katelyn Grace as you see the doctors.

I need to introduce myself! I am what you would call a "blog stalker"...although I think that is a term I don't really like! I am actually a wife and a homeschooling mom with 7 children who found your blog many months ago. I enjoy reading your blog for several reasons....

- As a teen and prior to marriage, I worked with mentally handicapped people for 10 years. I have a special love for people with Downs and have been blessed to be able to pray for Katelyn Grace. The Lord has placed her in an amazing family, and I have been privileged to get to know you and to pray for your little one.

- Your courtship story- Growing up, my husband and I were in the entire mess of dating. We know that we don't want that for our children! Over the years, I have searched for courtship stories to encourage and inspire our children....so, I have been following your wonderful courtship! It is indeed inspiring and shows the Hand of God so wonderfully.

- I found your blog through a link to a link to a link...you know how it goes. But what kept me here was the fact that I used to live in the town in which you, Lauren, met your fiance. And now we have moved to SC...small world!

-Finally, I absolutely adore the music on your blog. Several days, I have gone to your blog just to listen to it.....my children have all said, why is that page playing music!? Who are these people, mommy!? Could you share the musician with me? And how do you even get music to play on a blog? All are mysteries to me!

I pray blessings upon your family, little Katelyn Grace, and especially upon your upcoming marriage. May the Lord radiate through your days as you await your wedding!

In Christ's love,

Sarah E.

FitzClan said...

Oh, Mrs. E, it is receiving comments like yours that make this blog more than worth the time it takes to update regularly! Reading a comment like that just makes my day! I know it will be such an encouragement to my mom when I read it to her!

Thank you so much for your prayers! Knowing that so many people are praying for us is a great comfort.

What a joy it is to know that our courtship story is helping and encouraging others! Sharing our story is something that I get so excited about, and I hope at least some of this excitement shows on our blog.

If you don't mind, could you tell us where in SC you're from? (If you like, you could leave a comment and ask me not to publish it to the blog.) We are always excited to meet likeminded families, and know very, very few in our area. (I understand if you don't want to give that information, of course!)

Oh yes, the music. I was on www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com, and noticed some music in the sidebar. I clicked on "Get your own Songspot," and set up music for our blog. So glad you enjoy it! I haven't had much time to mess with it, but does the same song come on first each time? I think it does, but I'm not sure. I've been meaning to change around the order the songs are played once in awhile. Isn't the internet amazing?

Mrs. E, thank you so much for your kind comment. Thank you for taking the time out of your inherently (with seven children!) busy day to introduce yourself and encourage us.

I look forward to more communication with you!

Many blessings,
Lauren for the whole "Fitzclan"

FitzClan said...

Mrs. E,

Thank you so much for your note. Is there some way we can get in touch with you? It would be such a blessing and encouragement to meet your family if it's possible!

~Lauren