Monday, December 10, 2007

Please Pray for Katelyn Grace!

[Edit: Please leave comments with a word of encouragement for Mom, and let us know you're praying. Ya'll's comments really do encourage her so much!]

I just have time for a quick update. Katelyn Grace is now over 10 months old, and has grown into quite the chunky baby (I'll post pictures below). We are still desperately praying for answers and guidance.

Katelyn Grace's seizures have gotten worse. She now has "startles" between 10 and 50 times a day. Startles are a very strong jerk caused by her brain spiking. Directly afterwards, she either cries strongly and pitifully, or looks very confused. She is not the happy baby we had just a month ago.

She no longer gets up on her hands and knees and rocks back and forth, and we have only seen her smile very rarely in the past two weeks.

In spite of all Mom has done trying to get rid of the fluid in her ears, Katelyn Grace will probably have to get tubes put in.

She cannot hold onto and focus on toys like she could when she was only a few months old. She does like looking at baby books if we hold them in front of her face, though!

Something bothers her practically all the time. She cries, fusses, writhes, and rubs at her face almost constantly.

She is eating smooth homemade baby food well, thankfully, and seems to enjoy her apples, apricots, prunes, peas, carrots, and pears very much! She is also happy when we take her for long walks in the stroller. She loves being outside, and just thinks Paton (our dog) and Ravel and Suzuki (our two cats) are the most wonderful things in the world (besides her mommy).

At night, she generally wakes up two or three times, often from seizures, and is up for an hour or so each time. During the day, she'll maybe take an hour's nap on a good day. She gets so worked up from the seizures, we believe, that she can't rest.

Poor Mom is suffering from lack of sleep and a feeling of helplessness as she watches Katelyn Grace go through these seizures day after day. She has put thousands of hours into research on Katelyn Grace's medical issues (with tremendous help from Leslie), and has thankfully made some headway. It looks as if we will probably have to make another trip out to San Diego to see a doctor we're working with in the next week or so, maybe over Christmas. Not exactly how any of us had planned to spend our last Christmas all together, but if it helps Katelyn Grace we'll be more than thankful.

Please, please, please pray for Katelyn Grace! Pray for the doctor, Dr. Thiel, as he works with Mom and Dad to help Katelyn Grace. Pray for Mom and Dad as they have to make so many important decisions.

Thanks so much!

~Lauren



"Talking" to Daddy from San Diego in October




Near Arroyo Grande in California, on our way back from a doctor's visit


Playing "hand" - her favorite game - with Daddy

Learning her alphabet with Mommy : )

"Please pray for me!"

17 comments:

The Zimmerman Family said...

The Zimmerman family's prayers are with you Katelyn Grace!

A concerned brother-to-be,

Tait

EL said...

I'm praying for my sweet little baby sister-in-law! Thank you so much for posting the pictures. She is such a cutie! Love you all!

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for Katelyn Grace and you all, as well! May God bless you as you serve Him.

Hannah~

Lauren said...

Thank you, Katelyn Grace's brother-to-be (and my wonderful husband-to-be)!

Thank you, sweet sister-to-be!

Thank you, Hannah!

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon this blog, and I will pray for little Katelyn. I'm so touched by the tremendous love that is present in your family. Know that a concerned mother in CA is praying for Katelyn's progress.

-Erin

Lauren said...

Thank you so much, Erin! I will definitely share your comment with my mom. Some of us will be out in California next week seeing a doctor for Katelyn Grace.

Thank you!

Blessings,
Lauren

Anonymous said...

*I posted a comment earlier, but as I am not sure whether it went through our not, I thought I would post again. So I apologize if this is a duplicate post!


How my heart aches for you all and little Katelyn Grace! After finding your family blog (via Lauren’s), I’ve read through Katelyn Grace’s story, and what a precious little girl she is! I have been so very blessed to see your family’s great love for her. She is truly blessed to have a family like you all!

I will be praying for Katelyn Grace and also for your family during this time. Though we cannot understand, we can rest in that even in this, the Lord has a plan for this special little girl.

May His strength and peace be yours during this difficult time.

A servant of Christ,
Sarah

http://www.asliliessewing.com/Journal.htm

Anonymous said...

Dear Lauren and family,

I am praying for you, and especially Katelyn Grace as you walk this road. As a mom, I am often up at night with my little ones, and I sometimes find myself lying awake, praying as I try (often fruitlessly) to get back to sleep. I prayed for you last night (well, it was this morning starting about 5:00am)- and now to find this post, I know that the Lord is working mightily on your behalf. His Spirit prompted me to pray even without knowing the current need. God is so good.

Lauren, could you contact me offline by email (if you still have it)? I would like to bring your family a meal or two so that you guys can be focusing on the precious Christmas holiday, as well as taking care of your Mom and Katelyn Grace right now. If you need my email again, please post and let me know. Please also let me know of any likes, dislikes, or dietary needs you have. We love to make desserts, breads, salads, a main course and fresh veggies, so please let us know what suits you best! Do you like venison, chicken, beef, fish, vegetarian? The sky is the limit, and my family and I love to cook so please do let me know.

I will be praying for the Lord to give you all many, many special days together as a family before you and Tait are married. I know that your marriage will be wonderful, but as the youngest of 5, I also know how hard it is to part with older siblings. May the Lord be gracious, and have perfect timing in meeting the many emotional needs you all have as your wedding comes closer.

With Love in Christ,

Sarah E.

EL said...

Just thought I'd comment again and tell you that we're all thinking about you all and praying! Love you and I'm looking forward to seeing you all and especially Katelyn Grace in May.

Lauren said...

Thank you Esther. You're the best!

Noel said...

Hi, I am as you could call it, one of your "blog stalkers". I found your blog by the way of my sister. We seem to have in common the fact of trying our best to follow our Lord in the way of serving Him with our whole hearts. Your blog has been a real encouragement to my whole family. I would like to share with you one way that God has really shaped my life.
And that is with epilepsy. I was dx when I was 16 after a year of tests and medication.
I started having seizures
when I was 7 but my family did not realize it.(The seizures did not become really noticeable until I was 15) I, like your sister would become frightened and afraid. I would know where I was one moment and the next not know where I was even though I was in my home.
I tried medications and rest for 3 years but they really did not help. Every day was a struggle, and wearing not only on myself, but also on my family. When I was 17 the Lord blessed us with VNS Therapy. My Dr told me about this tx and I received the tx in December of 03'. Within 3 months I was able to do school, laugh and function again. I went from having constant seizers to a smaller amount. I was myself again! VNS Therapy has helped over 40,000 people and they have given the tx to children as young as 6 months. I hope that this has been helpful. If you would like to learn more you can go to www.vnstherapy.com our we can talk through my blog~
Your sister and family are in my prayers. Thank you for your Christ like example. Merry Christmas!

Lauren said...

Thank you Noel. I will most definitely be sharing this information with my mom and Leslie (my sister who helps Mom most with the research).

Thank you for your help, prayers, and encouragement. Merry Christmas to you too!

~Lauren

Anonymous said...

Dear Lauren and family,
I will keep all of you in my prayers. I will specifically pray for your doctors to have wisdom and insight into the best way to treat your sister. I will pray for your sister to experience miraculous relief of her symptoms for the glory of God. I will pray for your mother to rest fully and deeply to continue her efforts for Katelyn. I will pray thanksgiving for Leslie and for her to have special skill and insight in her support of your family, and to understand how valuable she is. I will also pray for those in your community and those you encounter on your path to receive insight for the best way to support you day to day as you work to reach that next level of comfort and healing for everyone.

Bless you for your ability to clearly relate this story for your readers across the world. Continue to let us know of other specific prayers you need.

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Just dropped in to check and see if you had the pictures of Katelyn Grace posted and was sorry to read that she has taken a step back.
Please know that I will continue to pray for Katelyn Grace, your parents, and for the dr. who is treating her.
She is such a pretty baby and your mom *despite a lack of rest* looks wonderful too!
I know that you all know this already, but the LORD loves Katelyn Grace and has a plan for her-I pray that He will bring joy and health back into her life and will grant your parents peace and wisdom.
Blessings to you all,
Michelle W.

Anonymous said...

Lauren,

**Another blog stalker comes out of the shadows!!**

I have been reading your blog for quite some time now and really enjoy following KG's progress. I am praying for her to quickly bounce back to the cheerful baby she has been and have no doubt that God will bring that about in His perfect time. I'm also praying for you especially during this time of stress for you family + trying to plan a wedding and keep up with a fiance across the country. I'm praying Ephesians 3:14-21 and for God's peace that passes our understanding.

Much love,

Joy

EL said...

Okay I just love these pictures! She is so cute! Love you!

Angela said...

Praying for your beautiful little girl.

God bless....Angela
www.bixbyblabs.blogspot.com