Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A Reminiscent Trip to the Beach

On a cold, windy day about a week ago, Dad and I [Lauren] - and Paton, of course - went out to the beach for a nice walk.




I have wonderful memories of one Christmas Day when Dad took us out in the boat to this old, abandoned lighthouse. I remember climbing the spiral staircase all the way to the top, stopping to look out of one of the tiny windows at our boat far below. It looked like a tiny child's toy. The old, iron staircase had steps missing along the way, and I remember clinging to Mom's hand, afraid of falling to - as it seemed to my 8-year-old mind - my death. But, eventually, excitement pushed out any fear that I had.

I have one other memory of that Christmas Day over a decade ago. At our house, before starting out, it didn't feel very cold outside, so I decided to bring only one light coat. Mom and Dad both told me to take some more warm clothes, but I insisted that I would be fine in what I was planning on bringing. Knowingly, they both decided to allow me to have my own way. I distinctly remember sitting huddled in the bottom of the boat, shivering until my teeth chattered. A lesson was learned on that cold day that I still remember clearly all these years later.

Today, the lighthouse is shut up and no one is allowed to climb to the top. Someday, if they ever open it up again, it would be exciting to climb those steps once again and look out over our beautiful Harbor and at our miniature boat far beneath.





1 comment:

EL said...

Beautiful pictures! Can't wait to be there!