Thursday, February 15, 2007

Thank You!!! ... Written by Mom

Yes, the mother of little Katelyn Grace is now up and running! Well, I don't know about the "running" part, but I am up from my week of rest. I thanked my midwife profusely for ordering me to the week of bedrest after having Katelyn Grace and forbidding me to go down the stairs. It was a time of real bonding with her and a time I will always cherish. I had some internal hemorrhaging, as some of the amniotic sack had not been expelled until the day after Katelyn Grace was born. So after losing a considerable amount of blood, I was rather weak and lightheaded. With drinking an iron tonic and resting, I feel much better now.

I would like to express immeasurable thanks to family and friends who brought meals, visited, sent flowers and gifts, and gave so much encouragement to us. A very special thanks goes to Katelyn's siblings who were absolutely wonderful in taking over managing the home, meals, laundry, taxi services, and serving me so faithfully. They really demonstrated their love for both Katelyn and me in their selfless TLC. They made sure that I had plenty of nutrition and even made me take my cod liver oil a couple times a day! I told them they were going to make me 300 lbs. if they continued to bring me so much food! Most of all, I am especially thankful to our Lord for several things regarding Katelyn Grace's birth:

I am thankful that I was able to have the baby at home using the waterbirth method. This means that the baby was actually born in a circular tub set up for this purpose. The water is heated and I felt tremendous relief from one contraction to the next as I got into it. It speeds up labor and the water makes it easier on the tissues of the mother, eases labor pains, and provides such a calm and gentle birth for the baby. Katelyn Grace barely let out a cry when she came out of the water. I had a great certified midwife who went above and beyond her call of duty. Everything about it beat hospital births, as I had the first four all in the same hospital.

I am thankful that the Lord gave me those first moments of pure joy of a new birth, as I did not realize at first that she had Down Syndrome.

I am thankful that the Lord had me gradually discover for myself that she had Down Syndrome, as I gradually recognized some of the physical signs when I looked over Katelyn more carefully. I am thankful that I did not have to be told.

I am thankful for the way the Lord had prepared us somewhat for a Down's baby by giving us our beloved friends, the Royal family. They have six children with their lastborn having D.S. Christian is 14 yrs. old now and has grown up around us. We have even attended some of his parties with his D.S. friends. Shannon played a lot with him when she was younger, never noticing that he was any different from any other child. The fact that Katelyn has D.S. didn't seem to phase Shannon a bit. She was just in so much awe over a new baby. Christian's parents were here bringing a meal over right away after the delivery and brought two more after that, along with flowers and their usual encouragement and support. They are truly a wonderful family who demonstrate Christ's love to others.

I am thankful for such wonderful and loving children with which the Lord has rewarded us. They have been such a blessing.

I am thankful for my dear husband, who was a terrific labor coach, and is so supportive and loving. He's a wonderful husband and father and I know that we can enter the daunting aspects of the D.S. world together, hand in hand, as we look to the Lord together for His direction and help.

There is so much to be thankful for!

No comments: